Don't give up

Back during my first semester in college for my English class I was assigned to write a poem. Something I have never been inclined to do or feel the talent to do.

The assignment was "Tell a houseplant why it needs to live" naturally I correlated this with suicide and used the plant as an metaphor of someone with depression.
Looking back and re-reading I want to share it. And, perhaps it isn't just about depression or suicide but can be about other struggles as well......
I feel vulnerable just sharing it because as I stated i'm no poetry writer, but hey if I'm going to share something shouldn't it be here ?
Well, here it is


Don't give up!

I see you there.
Giving up on something that has yet to end.
Don't give up!
There are still many sunrises to be seen and sunsets to be admired.
It seems life hasn't been going your way. It's apparent by the look of your frail body.
Don't give up!
You no longer have the bright glow you once did. You look pale and ghastly.
Let me help you.
I have seen your features thriving in the environment that now feels as though it's burying you.
Your contours ever so dilicate yet strong. Your features bright and shining as you  would soak in the sunlight rays that once made you feel alive.
Let me help you.
There are still many sunrises to be seen and sunsets to be admired. 

Comments

Popular Posts